- To foster the improvement of all sheep breeds and provide a unified body whose collective voice has a beneficial effect on the total NZ sheep industry.
- To maintain the purity of all sheep breeds within the jurisdiction of the Association and to appoint breed inspectors and show judges to safeguard breed standards and encourage breed field days and trials.
- To collect, verify and store pedigree information for the registration of purebred sheep and to publish the NZ Flock Book annually.
- To encourage studbreeders to performance record, thereby allowing a comparison of individual animals to be made within a stud flock and identify the top performance sires within a breed and encourage their use.
- To educate members and the general public regarding the use of registered stud rams in the production of meat and/or wool and their overall effect on the New Zealand economy.